Technical Support Specialist
Physicians Insurance A Mutual Company provides traditional, first-dollar medical professional liability insurance, medical stop loss, provider excess, and reinsurance coverage to more than 7,500 physicians, practices, corporations, and hospitals in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Alaska, and Wyoming. Through its subsidiaries, the company also provides alternative risk financing vehicles and captive management with corresponding risk-management consulting, continuing medical education, and claims administration services. Founded in 1981, Physicians Insurance has grown to be the largest locally-based insurer of physicians in its region, and is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company. Physicians Insurance maintains corporate headquarters in Seattle, with a regional and subsidiary offices in Spokane, WA and Orlando, FL. We are proud to have a long history of excellent operating results and a commitment to our policyholders, our employees, and the communities we serve. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Support Specialist to join our Helpdesk team.
We are looking for a customer-oriented, collaborative individual, who is comfortable playing a variety of roles in a small IT shop.
The Technical Support Specialist is primarily responsible for configuring and installing desktop and mobile hardware and software utilizing company specific applications in a Microsoft operating system environment. This position is also responsible for supporting the local area network and remote connectivity to internal customers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs computer diagnostics and repairs to end users via phone, chat, remote control, or in person using a responsive and customer-focused approach. Identifies and analyzes problems using knowledge of established protocols, diagnostic tools, expertise of peers or other resources. Installs, assembles, configures and maintains software, hardware and network facilities as it relates to the desktop and mobile computing environment.
- Assists with the testing, research and acquisition of new or upgraded hardware systems.
- Maintains current knowledge of Microsoft’s Operating Systems and Office Suites.
- Collaborates with IT staff on the selection of hardware and software products to address business requirements and ensuring reliable operations of systems and infrastructure.
- Creates and maintains required documentation for hardware and software maintenance and troubleshooting activities. Records and maintains company hardware and software asset information.
- Associate’s degree in information technology or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of proven IT end-user support experience
- Significant experience with Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft Office applications required
- Strong commitment to customer service, quality, and a collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, diagnose and logically solve technical problems
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to talk to customers with varying levels of technology skills at all levels within the company including senior management and board members
- A willingness and ability to learn new systems and skills
- Experience with the following is a plus; Mac operating systems and applications; scripting languages such as PowerShell, PERL, etc.; server administration (Windows, VMware, Linux); mobile technologies including iPhone and Android devices
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds, travel 2-3 times a year to support remote offices and be available to occasionally work after-hours or weekends for system outages or maintenance