Business Development Executive
The Business Development Executive (BDE) supports the Director of Distribution and Partner Management to build, develop, and manage broker partnerships and distribution channels for Physicians Insurance and MedChoice. The BDE will be responsible for providing ongoing education to our brokers regarding our underwriting appetite and capabilities, assisting the Director to identify and develop new broker and distribution channels, and manage oversight of the overall performance of each individual brokerage. This position serves as an externally facing representative of the company expected to uphold and embody our purpose and values, attending industry events, trade shows, and engaging in speaking events and trainings as requested. The BDE works collaboratively with the Underwriting department, helping to share information on individual broker performance, provide regular updates to underwriting, and engage in joint relationship building where appropriate.
- Regularly meet with assigned brokers virtually and in person to foster relationships supportive of the company’s growth initiatives
- Prospect, on-board, and train new distribution partners in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Serve as a point of contact for brokers on day-to-day questions, triaging to internal stakeholders as appropriate
- Attend regular Underwriter Pipeline meetings to share intel and provide feedback
- Collaborate with Underwriting on broker visits, making introductions and coordinating with underwriters on visits as appropriate
- Attend trade shows, charity events, and other industry events as a representative of Physicians Insurance/MedChoice as well as identify other events and sponsorships to further business objectives
- Assist Marketing & Communications department on developing and updating collateral including website content, flyers, brochures, and advertisements.
- Assist in data collection efforts including keeping CRM up to date
- Coordinate and assist in planning company sponsored functions to provide opportunities for relationship building
- Manage special projects and assignments
- Prepare reports as required by the Director
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required
- 10 or more years’ experience in Professional Liability Insurance to include working knowledge and relationships with agency/brokerages, preferably related to Medical or Hospital Professional Liability. Experience in sales/business development, underwriting, claims, or from the brokerage side will be considered.
- 4-year college or university degree or equivalent industry experience.
- Professional designations such as Registered Professional Liability Underwriter (RPLU), Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) or other insurance designations preferred
- Technical and business management acumen and ability to use metrics and data analysis to help drive strategy
- Excellent presentation skills, virtually and in-person
- Active Property and Casualty Producer license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire
- Ability to travel to assigned brokers and industry events as necessary to accomplish department goals. Travel destinations include the Seattle office, brokerages in the northwest, and regional and national brokers located through the country
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent planning, organizational, time management, and prioritization skills
- Ability to work independently, including planning and executing travel plans
- Excellent grammar, writing, and proofreading skills, with an attention to detail
- Demonstrated technical ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, Excel, and other software applications
- Strong commitment to customer service, internally and externally
At Physicians Insurance, you’ll find an exceptional hybrid work environment, and the opportunity to work for an industry leader whose programs have a positive impact on insurance and healthcare.
The salary range for this position is $109,200 to $174,200. Starting salary is determined by several factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. This position is also eligible for an annual company bonus at an incentive target level of 12%.
We also offer a comprehensive benefits program, including a generous retirement program and Paid Time Off. Please visit www.phyins.com/careers for detailed benefit descriptions.